I did it! I finally cleaned out my closet! I worked on it all day yesterday. It has been bothering me for months and I just couldn’t (or wouldn’t) get to it. Having an organized closet makes me so happy! It was frustrating me because I am in my closet several times a day and when it is messy it takes longer to find things and to get ready!
In an earlier blog post-Organizing your Home– I had mentioned dividing in 3 boxes-put away (to go in another room), throw away, and give away. Yesterday I divided “give away” in two-to give to charity and to take to consignment. I hung the consignment items on a portable hanging rack, they are clean and now all I need to do is steam them and take them to the consignment place.
I had my timer with me and kept going in 15 and 30 minute increments. Sometimes I took breaks when the timer went off. I had pandora.com on to listen to music. I even sorted all of my jewelry and polished the silver pieces. I found earrings I forgot I had! I took the time to try clothing on-many items I didn’t even like any more or they didn’t fit right. So out they went!
Closet Organizing Ideas
- skinny velour hangers (you can get the Real Simple brand at Bed, Bath and Beyond)- they take up less room and things don’t slip off of them
- jewelry organizers-a tackle box, even egg cartons will work! I got mine from the Container Store-they stack and also are lined with a velour to prevent tarnishing (got them on sale!)
- organize your clothes by activity-for me I have golf clothes, yoga, running clothes each in their own area. I have a drawer that has golf accessories (tees, balls, etc) and running accessories-carb chews, running headbands, etc.
- Organize the rest of your clothes by season- short sleeve tees, dressy short sleeve, long sleeve, skirts, pants
- Items I have folded on shelves-jeans, sweaters, yoga clothes, sweatshirts
- Items in drawers-running clothes, pj’s, panties & bras, swimsuits, socks
- Within each category, sort your clothes by color, light to dark- have you heard of the acronym roy g biv ? (it is putting in this order- Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet-i put white/creme at the front end and brown/black at the other end)
- Have a spot or basket in your closet that’s items to go to the cleaners or alterations
- Use cute baskets or even shoe boxes to hold things-I had knitting projects that were just thrown in bags in the closet, looks so much cuter in the baskets!
- Next time when shopping, even if on sale, really ask yourself if you really love and need it. Too much is overwhelming.
- I love the blog- simplemom.net – she has great organizing ideas!
What ideas do you all have? Please share!